During the opening weekend, my whole family decided to watch Kita Kita. It is a Filipino film that is not your typical rom-com. The movie features Alessandra de Rossi and Empoy Marquez. Definitely not your usual pairing, but it worked!
Ako lang. Ako lang ang pusong may saging.
Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Watch Kita Kita
- The novelty of this film will make you feel like you spent your money well for a 1-hr and 24-min movie.
- Just when you think Alessandra and Empoy’s tandem wouldn’t work, it did. Their tandem will definitely make you feel things.
- You will laugh. A lot.
- You will cry.
- There were no boring scenes.
- Both actors, Alempoy, are so talented. Their performance were on point. Alessandra’s eyes were so expressive, even their facial expressions evoked the feeling of the scenes.
- You will never look a banana the same again. You may want to find your own banana, or heart.
- If you like cheese, this movie has lots of it.
- If you’re a K-drama or J-drama fanatic, then this movie will definitely satisfy your needs.
- It’s different than your usual Filipino rom-coms. It’s different, it’s good.
One reason why you shouldn’t watch the movie
While I liked the movie, there were some things that put me off. First, Tonyo crushing over Lea was cute at first, but there were times when it felt like a borderline obsession. When the movie moved towards Tonyo’s perspective, my first reaction was “Ang creepy!” (That’s creepy!) He basically stalked Lea. As a woman, I would feel really uncomfortable and creeped out, regardless of who the guy is.
Back in high school, there was this guy from another class that kept following me around. In the library. In the cafeteria. In everywhere. I was so put off by it that I had to tell him to stop. Eventually, he did. He wasn’t ugly, but what he did really made me uncomfortable.
The letter that Tonyo wrote Lea explained why he did what he did, but it doesn’t remove the fact that it creeped me out when I learned of the stalking. I was like, “Tonyo already made me kilig (swoon), why did he have to be stalkerish?!” In the letter, he did apologize for why he did those things. I guess, without that letter, I would have gone out of the theater feeling really bad.
Should you still watch the movie?
Yes! We need to encourage our local film makers to make movies that breaks the status quo. I am all for movies that are different. Let’s support movies like this!
Watch the trailer